Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years 2011 - Island Park




New Years for me hasn't always been exciting parties and big events. Many years I'm happy to got to hit the hay at 10, but feel obligated to stay up until midnight. This year my family had the opportunity to join my aunt Katie and Uncle Ron at their Island Park cabin for a weekend of snowmobiling and snowshoeing. What a fun way to spend New Years! Yea! Island Park is one cold place. As low as -10 degrees every day. Rylee got frostbite on her lower legs from her snowpants riding up while we snowmobiled. Almost too cold to be outside but we made the best of it. We got in a fun (but cold) snowmobile ride. I tested out the new MSR Lightning snowshoe with their funky new binding. Mostly I swear at it a lot. I know they won't be happy that I don't recommend it, but honestly who wants to have to watch a video before they can figure out how to get their binding done up? I think user-friendly bindings are the main crux of a sellable snowshoe, and these (though they adjust for an off-center gait) are not user friendly. The new tails are also a pretty interesting design, but in my trials of the shoe I ended up loosing one on the trail. That doesn't speak too highly of their connection system. At any rate - I sure hope they continue to make the Lightning with their original binding because I love that snowshoe. I think Christian, Ethan and I had the most fun sledding behind the four-wheeler on the snowpacked roads. Laughed hard and real while hitting snow banks and whipping on the centrifugal swing. S loved driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment