Monday, May 10, 2010

Baer Canyon: Kaysville





For Mother's Day I grabbed my friend George and my dog Miss Molly and we went to explore a trail I had not yet hiked. Baer Canyon is not one of Davis County's nicest trails, but it's a pathway into the mountains next to a stream, and that's always something to be appreciated.

Once at the trailhead I found that the new batteries I put in my GPS were really old batteries and so I have no elevation or distance readings, but the weather was perfect for a day on the trail. The trail through Baer Canyon is rocky and prone to erosion. Many parts of the trail are falling into the creek below. There are a couple fire rings available off the trail, all look well used. We hiked for a couple hours and there was still more trail to go, but George needed to head home for a family party. Miss Molly got tired and hot and laid in the creek for a good 5 minutes to cool down. Dogs are allowed on the trail, just make sure to kick the dog doo off the trail or pack it out. We met up with a couple different set of hikers, with their dogs, otherwise the trail was quiet.

To get to the trailhead: from U.S. 89 turn east at 400 North. Trun right again onto Mountain road and follow to East Oaks drive, to 1800 E. Take a left on 1800 East. Follow the road to a deadend then turn sharply right onto a small road that leads up to the parking area.

No comments:

Post a Comment